What IS a Doula??
Doula (doo-la) is a Greek term for 'caregiver'. The term refers to a trained professional who provides non-medical, continuous physical, emotional and informational labour support.
- You will learn how to empower yourself during labour using BRAIN technique.
- You will learn how to create a realistic birth plan.
- Discuss stages of labour, provide information about interventions.
- We will discuss your biggest concerns regarding labour, birth and life with a newborn.
- Talk about your postpartum plan.
- Continual labour support for 1-2 hours after the birth while hospital shifts switch, and you're meeting various health care providers.
- I will cheer you on, keep you focused on your journey, be a rock for you, offer a perspective and options. I will stay calm and objective.
- I can suggest relaxation techniques, massage, different positions, calming measures for comfort during labour.
- I'll probably (no, definitely!) shed tears of joy when your sweet baby/ies is/are born.
- I'll stay with you, offer to snap some pictures of your new family. I'll make sure you get some sustenance and are comfortable.
- I'll assist where I can with breast/chestfeeding. Using my intuition, I'll sense the right moment to make my exit, giving you quiet time with your new family.
- A week or two after your birth I will visit with you to assess your recovery, discuss the birth, offer feeding support (if needed), provide some community resources and admire your sweet baby.
- You will have access to my baby wearing lending library, I'll show you how to use the different carriers, and we can talk about your postpartum village.
The Evidence of a Doula
It's true. You will have a more positive outcome with a doula supporting you in labour.
Up to 39% decrease in cesarean
Up to 15% increase of spontaneous vaginal birth
10% decrease for need of pain medications
Shorter labour by 41 minutes on average
Overall more satisfaction with your birth experience, which is a great start to your new parenting role and will help you to move forward in the postpartum stage.
For some more info on the benefits of hiring a doula, click: Love What I Doula
Let's get together for a complementary consult and I'll answer all your doula questions